All In Price Advertising
Posted on July 31, 2020
There was a time when it was hard to trust the car prices you saw in the local newspaper or on TV commercials. Car dealers in Ontario might have said one thing in public but by the time you were done dotting all the i's and crossing all the t's the price would mysteriously jump by a few hundred dollars or more. Thankfully, those days are over for car buyers and consumers in On tario. The 2002 Motor Vehicle Dealers Act - and subsequent addendums - makes it illegal for car dealers in our area to pull the pricing tricks of old, including advertising one price, and then charging another. This relatively new commitment to all-in-price advertising is incredibly important to the experts at Caledon Chrysler in Bolton, ON. We have always had the utmost respect for our loyal customers, so we are happy that other dealerships have joined us in strictly following all the rules and regulations that come with the MVDA including all-in-price advertising. We believe you deserve to know all about the MVDA so we thought it would be a perfect time to take a closer look at both the MVDA and how you can benefit from these protections at Caledon Chrysler.
No matter how many cars, trucks, and SUVs you plan to sell, if you're doing it in Canada you need to follow the exacting dictates of the MVDA. Let's be clear, these are serious laws. According to the Ontario Motor Vehicle Industry Council, if a person "furnishes false information" (including advertisements) about the cost of a car they can be fined up to $50,000 or be imprisoned for two years less a day. Some of the other protections of the MVDA and OMVIC include:
- All disclosures must be "clear and truthful" and any representations (including advertising) must be "legal, decent, ethical and truthful."
- The price that an OMVIC-registered dealer advertises for a vehicle (new or used) must include all fees and charges the dealer intends to collect. The only additional fees a dealer can charge are HST and licensing, which refers to the actual cost of vehicle registration and plates and it cannot include extra fees added by the dealer
- All customers will be entitled to cancel a contract within 90 days if there was not adequate disclosure
- All dealers must follow the Code of Ethics Regulations or face being brought before a Discipline Committee
- Dealers may be required to submit its advertising to the Registrar for pre-approval for up to two years
At Caledon Chrysler, our success is only possible because of the trust we've built with our loyal customers. Honest pricing is more than just following the MVDA for us; it is a way of life. If you want to learn more about the MVDA, OMVIC, or our commitment to all-in-price advertising, please contact the experts at Caledon Chrysler today. Our sales and service team are here Monday-Saturday to help you learn about your rights and to find the perfect new and pre-owned Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and RAM vehicle.
*All vehicle mileage based on 2016 EPA mileage estimates. Use for comparison purposes only. Do not compare to models before 2008. Your actual mileage will vary, depending on how you drive and maintain your vehicle.